Grove Theatre
Grove Theatre
Grove Theatre
Annex

Also on historic Main Street, the Bank of Pleasant Grove began the erection of this building in 1917. Its decorative design elements reflect the influence of the Prairie School style of architecture that had begun to gain popularity at that time. It remains an excellent Utah example of a commercial building, representative of the few commercial buildings built in Utah of that style. This successful bank was one of the few Utah County banks that remained solvent during the Great Depression. They operated from this building until 1954, before moving south to the center of the block. In 1918 Josiah Kemp purchased an interest in the basement of the bank, furnishing it with steam heat, hot and cold running water, and a bathtub. There Kemp and Ray Frampton combined their barbershop business. Baths were then a part of an elite barbershop. On the ground level entrance, at the head of the stairs, they put up a striped barber pole. They added a marcel department in the rear of the basement shop for a woman beautician, when women began invading gentlemen's barbering scenes. Kemp, a drafstman as well as a barber, ran his draftsman's business from this "Bank Basement Barber Shop." In 1926 Kemp sold his interest in the shop to Howard Matthews, and he and Frampton continued their barbering business here until the mid 1940s when Frampton and Kemp again joined in business across the street, and moved the barber pole with them. Later, Ted Jones had his barbershop in the basement as well. In 1958 Hal Haycock, Harvey Smith, and George L. Smith pooled their resources to form Grove Finance. They purchased the building and occupied the main floor. Many townspeople invested money in the company, attracted by unusually high interest rates. The company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 1980. Since then the building has had short term owners. The original interior pressed-tin ceiling of the building has been painted, and the stained glass in the north windows removed. The exterior clock, purchased and added to the Bank of Pleasant Grove in 1926, was presented to the city in 1927, demonstrating their good will toward the citizens. After several years of idleness, the Pleasant Grove CLG restored the clock in 2001, and it again monitors time for the town's citizens. This building currently houses The Flair who specializes in formals and tuxedo wear. 801-836-4577

Annex Annex Annex


Photos
Annex Annex Annex Annex
Annex Annex Annex Annex
Annex Annex Annex Annex
The Grove Theatre Event Center 20 South Main Pleasant Grove, UT 84062
For more info on events, please call Stan at 801-809-2350.


Home  |   History  |   Photos  |   Amenities  |   Event Types  |   Pricing  |   Reservations  |   Annex  |   Downtown Pleasant Grove
State Street Properties  |   Big Foot Corn Maze  |   2000 West  |   Retirement Condo Utah
© The Grove Theatre Event Center